Tuesday 19 February 2008

Early spring

Yesterday I was delivering a seminar to students at Cambridge on the state of the countryside. Before I left I walked the dogs in the local woods. After the recent sunshine, bluebells are just starting to come into flower.
As for the seminar, of the five students who should have been there, two failed to materialise. One of them it transpired was having a bath! At the risk of being a grumpy old man, I cannot imagine that behaviour being acceptable when I was a student.
Sunday I had preached on John chapter 3 including the famous "God so loved the world..." and I was reminded of the late Bill Westwood, former Bishop of Peterborough, who always emphasised that it was the World that God loves, not the Church. How much of our church agendas are about our concerns instead of being concerned for the world?

No comments: