Friday 22 May 2009

MP's expenses

It seems to me that the Telegraph is milking the story as hard as they possibly can and in so doing is damaging our democratic process. I would rather that MPs were doing the job that they were elected to do – running the country - rather than decorating their homes or looking after their gardens. If that means there needs to be allowances paid so they can get on with their job, that seems eminently reasonable to me.

I also appreciate that to do MPs' jobs mean they need residence both in the constituency and in London and there needs to be a system so can happen.

I find it very disturbing that MPs who have kept within the rules are being criticised. Whipping up a hysterical witch hunt may boost the Telegraph’s sales but is, I believe, damaging to our society which needs to work on a principal of trust if it is to work at all.

The Telegraph’s actions might be less hypocritical if they published the amount they paid for the leaked information, published the pay rates their "journalists" get and published full details of journalists expenses

1 comment:

Frances said...

For some reason (busy-ness I expect!) I missed this when you posted it. I really do agree, and wrote a similar take - with comparisons to some people's attitude to clergy - on my blog. My parish mag letter this month also picks up the theme of damage to democracy, following the elections. Roger was so appalled with the Telegraph that he cancelled his subscription after neary 50 years and is now taking the Times. He wrote to the Telegraph, but has never received a reply.